25 Jan 2008

Some good reads

Its been some time since I've written anything - mainly becoz there's no internet connection now in Melati. So I have to wait until I'm back in Malacca before I can do anything online. Anyway what's new? Not much has been happening - just finished reading Mr Knightley's Diary. Not bad actually - it follows Jane Austen's style about Emma but seen from a man's viewpoint.
Another one I'd like to read is Mr Darcy's Diary by the same writer.
Reread The Far Pavillions and even though I have already read it (more than 10 years ago) it still caught my imagination and glued me to its pages. I fell in love with Ashton (all over again) though I now see his faults too. I realise now that MM Kaye does not really develop Anjuli's character. We hardly see her - we only see her as a child at first and then as Anjuli the bride and later as Ash's wife but she is always behind a curtain. What I really enjoy about the writing is MM kaye's depiction of British India, the events that took place as seen from the eyes of someone who was there and the life of the people of that time. Its makes great reading and has a depth that is seldom seen in many novels today. I'd place this book on par with War and Peace and Gone With the Wind anytime.
Other books that I've been reading at the same time include Judith Michael's A Ruling Passion and re reading Pygmalion. I think I also have to take a look at Wuthering Heights again. That's the problem with me- I love re reading so many of my old books I don't have time to read the new ones. Still haven't touched the ones I bought this year with Shasha - the ones at the warehouse sale in PJ. There are some good ones there too.
Tonight we had our dinner with my brother in law and niece, at that place in Batu Berendam. Its a really scenic place - Tomyam Klasik- maybe about 2 km from Taman Ekhsan in Batu Berendam. It feels like its on a lake but actually it's on stilts and surrounded by a big pond. Lots of koi - and big ones too. The food was excellent, though Repin thinks its Asam tetel should be accompanied by sambal belacan and cincalok!! I specially liked the chicken in Mongolian sauce - something spicy yet is sweetish sour.
WE hardly eat out when in Melaka so when anybody asks me where is the best eating place in Melaka I usually dont know what to say. Well at least now I can safely say that this place is well worth looking for. Its not too far out of town - its in Batu Berendam and to go there one needs to go towards the old airport past the NS factory, the TM Point and on to the Munshi Abdullah High School. Take that road - on the right after Petronas and go on for another two km maybe. Its a big place and if you go at night its all lighted up so you can't miss it!

No comments: