8 Oct 2008

Mamma Mia!

Just saw the much awaited movie (for me). And I can tell you it does not disappoint. I've always loved ABBA and to see a movie featuring most of their songs is really fantastic. I think Merryl Streep was really great as the mother of the bride. I love Pierce Brosnan - the most dashing James Bond ever - but he didn't really shine as one of the"dads", especially the singing parts I thought. The songs chosen were really wonderful, the dancing superb and the story line so natural, it fits the songs so well its as if the songs were written for the movie instead of the other way around. Kudos to the script writer and director. But again I think Meryl Streep was just a super actor - as well as the young actor who acted as her daughter - Amanda Seyfrid. Quite unknown but a good actor anyway. Its a real "feel good" movie - gives you this fantastically great feeling, even much later. I'd recommend this movie for any ABBA fan and for the uninitiated - its a great introduction to ABBA. I guarantee you will fall in love with their songs and be a fan too. I remember teaching my UM students "I have a Dream" and they really enjoyed it. I wish I can see them and tell them to see this movie - I'm sure they'd love it too.

No comments: