14 Jul 2010

Spring cleaning

I don't know why we still call it spring cleaning - we don't have Spring or Summer or whatever here in Malaysia after all. Maybe it's one of the legacies the British left us? Whatever you may call it Yatie and I had us a real spring cleaning of the Malacca house on Saturday. We came down on Friday night, arriving right in the middle of the night. The last time we were home  here in Malacca was perhaps 3 weeks ago so I sort of expected some mess and dust. There wasn't much of a mess though the house was kind of dusty after 3 weeks of not vacuuming.

So last Saturday the two of us got to work. She cleaned all the rooms upstairs while I helped to clear the mess under the staircase - boxes of books actually. Some day  we'd have to have a jumble sale - then maybe we can get rid of some of the books. Our house is almost like a library - we have books everywhere. Some are in the rightful places , ie a bookcase, but most are still without a home. These are the ones given to us - free books from organisations and printers. And just last week I gave away a whole bag of books to Puan Sri to sell at her Hospital Charity Shop. Repin says we could sell the books online but I still haven't done anything about it. Most are of the romance variety - the type with really sexy covers with hunky looking men and beautiful women in a steamy embrace.


I got rid of most of my old notes for Literature from the Examination Syndicate days, all of Shasha's OUM notes and so many old magazines. I wonder sometimes about our (mine and Repin's) habits - we are hoarders at heart. We refuse to throw away old things - papers, nice looking boxes, old books which we know we will never read again, trinkets that are no longer usable and oh so many other things. The proof is in my storeroom - there are old letters, postcards, plates, tins (pretty ones), old ornaments, old shoes etc etc. I just don't have the heart to throw them away and after cleaning them up, away they go again into different boxes! To be opened another year - for another spring cleaning!



5 comments:

The Chair Speaks said...

Just like you couldn't part with old letters, postcards, plates, tins (pretty ones), old ornaments, old shoes, I am just the same as these are proofs that symbolises the love of those people we love. So each time we look and touch these objects, we touch those people.

I have lots of books and magazines too but not a single bookcase. :)

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Marvelous post!!! A new beginning.:D Love the header photo. Magnificent!

Hugs, JJ

Kat said...

Hi everybody,
Thanks for your lovely comments. Its true - we cannot seem to get rid of many of our old memories in whatever form they may be. Yes JJ - a new beginning.

The Bookworm said...

happy spring cleaning. I'm just he opposite, I throw everything out! lol. Except my books of course.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

The Bookworm said...

p.s. I love the new header, very pretty!