29 Nov 2012

November round up

November Reads
 November was a fairly busy month for me - mostly because my house was again under renovation. This time however we only expanded my mother-in law's room, which faced the fish pond. Then we decided to add a cattery for the cats and expand Sarah's room while we were at it. Sarah's room had become a bit too small for her - she had very little space to put her books and so we decided to take down the balcony and expand the room from there.

But it didn't stop there of course - since the wall paper was spoilt by all the cement and the dust we also had to change the wall paper but I think it was all worth it in the end. Sarah got her room enlarged and a lovely pink wall paper and mum's room too was so much bigger. One could see the fish pond just standing at the window and it was more airy and roomy too.



The whole renovation took up more than a month - we had to suffer through the noise and the dust especially in the initial stages of knocking down walls and with all that going on and Shasha's  graduation for her Masters degree in English Literature I didn't really have enough time to do all the things I wanted. Reading too suffered though I did manage to pick up some good reads. I had already finished reading  GeorgetteHeyer's  The Grand Sophy by then and also had with me some new books :

1. Another Piece of My Heart by Jane Green, a first time for me though my daughters, Sarah and Marisa swear by her. I enjoyed it although I felt it was a bit slow in the beginning. About Andi who has found the perfect man but the perfect man came with two daughters, one of whom takes an instant dislike to her father's girlfriend and later wife. Emily, the older girl tries to make Andi's life as miserable as she can make it, hoping it will destroy her father's marriage. The ending is slightly cliched though generally the book is charming.
2. The Bracelet by Roberta Gately
3. Wake by Amanda Hocking , the first book in the series about Gemma, a sixteen year old who discovers a strange world under water
4. The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James ( a lovely read which I enjoyed)
5. What's Right about Islam by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf - a book I feel everyone should read irregardless of faith but more because most Americans do not really understand Islam and this is a book which explains the faith in a simple way.



No comments: